Sunday, July 22, 2012

Blueberry Buckle

What's a buckle?

That's what she asked me, after we had been discussing what to do with the bucket of blueberries we were gradually filling.  I realized I could not answer.  All I remembered was that she had made a "buckle" with her 4-H leader a few years back...ok, so now that I think about it....had to be about 10 years ago.  yikes.
So once we got home, I searched through about 10 different cookbooks, coming up with a wide variety of fruit concoctions, including crumbes and crumbles, crunches, puddings, pies, cakes, and even something called a grunt...but not a single recipe described as a "buckle".  The closest I found to what I recalled as the recipe, was from an old church fundraiser cookbook, The Village cookbook, that I had picked up from a yard sale somewhere, from "Ida Prince".  I decided to use her recipe as my base.
Still struggling to recall how I got "buckle" in my vocabulary, it was off to the trusty Internet, where I found that Alton Brown understands me just fine.  His Blueberry Buckle is nearly identical to Ms. Prince's "Blueberry Teacake".
Many thanks to both Ida and Alton for providing the inspiration for today's yummy treat.  We enourage you to do your own investigation to find out "Watts a buckle?".

Watts a buckle?


Ingredients

1/2 cup margarine (cut in half)

3/4 cup sugar (and 1/2 cup for topping)
1 egg
2 cups flour (and 1/4 cup for topping
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon cinnamon (1/2 teaspoon for topping)
1 teaspoon coriander (1/4 teaspoon for topping)

1/2 cup milk
3 cups blueberries
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In large mixing bowl combine margarine and sugar. While you have the margarine in your hand, grease your 9x12" pan, then cut the remainder of the stick of margarine into cubes and place in smaller mixing bowl. Measure 1/2 sugar into that smaller bowl. Cream margarine and sugar. Add egg and beat until smooth. Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl, adding the smaller quantities to the smaller topping bowl.
Add milk and dry ingredients to mix and beat until smooth.  Remove mixer, fold in blueberries, and spread in your prepared pan.
Small bowl should now contain the cut up margarine, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and coriander.  Use a pastry blender or fork and knife to cut the butter into the dryer ingredients.  Sprinkle the resulting crumbly mix onto the top of your other mix.
Bake for 40 minutes.  Allow buckle to stand and rest for 10 minutes, then cut and serve.
Great warm out of the oven, but also good the next day.



No comments:

Post a Comment