Monday, August 6, 2012

Tomato Pie

Fellow foodee Dayle inspired tonight's dinner main course, Tomato Pie.  Her version sounded delectable, and involved mixing some mayonaise and cheese to coat the top of the pie.  I may try that version soon, as the tomatoes are starting to ripen in the garden.  Today, I was in the mood for a slightly more quiche-like version:

Wildwoods Tomato Pie

Start with a large deep dish pizza pan or oversized pie plate, and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Make up a pie crust, to your preference.  For my recipe, I mixed in my mixing bowl:
2 cups of flour,
1 teaspoon salt,
1 teaspoon garlic powder,
Once this was mixed, I cut in
1/4 cup of margarine
and finally, mixed in about
1/4 cup of water, until I had a nice dough.
In my deep dish enameled pie pan, I started with a smear of olive oil, then patted the dough onto the pan directly.  I used a small round glass to help roll it out so that the bottom of the pan was uniformly coated with the dough, and some of the dough I hand pressed onto the side edges.
I baked the crust for about 10 minutes, then removed from the oven.
Still hot, I coated the bottom with
pesto sauce, and a
sprinkling of cheese (I used cheddar)
and baked another 5-10 minutes, so that the cheese melted, creating a protective layer for the crust.
To this yummy crust, I stacked up
sliced tomatoes,
fresh spinach,
garlic,
a few dollops of pesto, and
more cheese.
In a small mixing bowl, I beat
1/2 cup heavy cream, with
4 eggs
.and poured over the whole pie.
Final back took about 1/2 hour.  I let the pie set for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.

It's a double win....was an excellent main entree, and there was enough to pack for lunches too!


No comments:

Post a Comment