Friday, January 20, 2012

Chocolate Dreams

This recipe takes me back to my childhood.  One of the first recipes I was allowed to help with, and certainly one of the easiest.  You'll need some room in your refrigerator for the trays of cooling cookies...but not for long, as these cookies disappear quickly!

In a medium sized saucepan or double boiler, melt:
1/2 cup margarine (one stick)
2 ounces baking chocolate
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
Cook this mixture for about 5 minutes to meld the ingredients, and alert your household to the wonderful smells of goodies in the making.  While it's cooking, measure out in a separate bowl or pot:
3 cups of rolled oats
1/2 cup of coconut
1/2 cup of chopped nuts.
If you have time, you can also prepare your cookie sheets headed for the refrigerator, by lining them with waxed paper.
Remove the chocolate mixture from the heat, and add
1 teaspoon vanilla.
For the grand finale, mix the wet and dry ingredients, combine well, and drop spoonfuls onto the wax paper covered cookie sheets.  Place sheets in refrigerator until cool.
These cookies are ok to eat as soon as they are cool enough to hold in your hand.

1 comment:

  1. I was sorting my book shelves today and came across my copy of the little gold cookbook.

    I can bear witness that these cookies are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete