Saturday, January 7, 2012

Transfer Station Treasures

Our community has a wonderful "Transfer Station", well managed, where we take our garbage and recycling each week.  The recycling center has a Reusable area, where folks leave items that might yet have some life left to them.  We have found many treasures there, and many more bits and bobbles that have become part of other creations, over the years we have lived here.
As I was dropping off my garbage this morning, it struck me that should I ever grow bored with coming up with tidbits for this blog, all I have to do is visit this reusable pile, and find something that motivates me.  And with that, I'm starting a new collection of tidbits here, called simply "Treasures" - where I will post crafts and ideas that have sprung from finding a Transfer Station reusable item.
For those of you in a more urban setting, you can think of these as "Dumpster Diving Delights".

This morning's "catch":
a variety of old card games (ATC card creations)
an old rubber door-stop (no need to repurpose this one - know right where I'm putting this one),
plexiglass photo keychain (not sure yet, but certain to be a stocking stuffer or gift tag eventually - or maybe not, as Krystin has already slipped this one into her pocket - you'll have to watch her blog entries for that one!),
a cast off bag of "Ta-Ka-Radi" blocks - which look nearly identical to the Jenga game we've had in the basement for a long time,  ( I *will* come up with something for these, as I now have several types collected)
a small bottle-sized basket, (perfect for a hostess gift of some sort - all it needs is bottle and bow)
some old wallpaper border, (not sure yet, this may go back to the transfer station, but I wanted to muse on it for a while - any ideas?)
an old brass ring and frog mobile, badly tangled,
and a Pirate puzzle in a tin (who can pass up Pirates?).


Any suggestions?  I can see a few ideas already.  We'll see how many weeks it takes before one pops up on this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment