Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Mother's Love

Yesterday, I read a forwarded posting from another blog "A Mountain I'm Willing to Die On".
First of all - the title grabbed me and pulled me right on in...really?  what mountain might that be?
I still don't know the answer to that first question, because I found her writing so very moving, and appropriate, and just plain wonderfully supportive of life, that I guess I simply joined her on that mountain.

The piece I read was at:
http://momastery.com/blog/2012/01/22/a-mountain-im-willing-to-die-on-2/

In case the blog disappears one day, the takeaways for me are:
"Children are not cruel", they practice what they see and interpret from around them, and it is our job, those of us who are no longer children, to demonstrate for them what we most want to see in them.
"People are heart-breakingly sensitive", and receptive to even moderate criticism.
"I don’t know much. But I know that each time I see something heartbreaking on the news, each time I encounter a problem outside, the answer to the problem is inside. The problem is AWAYS me and the solution is ALWAYS me. If I want my world to be less vicious, then I must become more gentle. If I want my children to embrace other children for who they are, to treat other children with the dignity and respect every child of God deserves, then I had better treat other adults the same way."
The rest of the blog is a lovely letter to her child, in which she pledges her promised embracement, and indeed, celebration, of all that her child is, and will be, no matter what path her child takes.
This particular woman has strong faith, and normally, I don't  make it through writings like this one, but there is a lovely reward in reading the entire message.  She ends her letter of love to her child with this simple statement:
"You are okay. You are a child of God. As is everyone else. There is nothing that you can become or do that will make God love you any more or any less. Nothing that you already are or will become is a surprise to God. Tomorrow has already been approved.
And so baby, your father and I have only one specific expectation of you. And that is that you celebrate others the way we celebrate you. That you remember, every day, every minute, that there is no one on God’s Green Earth who deserves more or less respect than you do, My Love."
Simply. Beautiful.  That is a mother's Love.



No comments:

Post a Comment